How is acne scarring formed? To understand why Sylfirm X would be effective in treating acne scars, we need to understand how acne scars are formed.
Acne scars are formed due to 3 main reasons:
Fibrotic Scarring, Volume Loss, & Uneven Skin Texture
- Fibrotic scarring– inflammation and infection under the skin cause fibrous-like bands to form under the skin. These bands are called fibrotic scars which tether and pull the skin inwards, resulting in scarring and an uneven skin texture.
- Volume loss– inflammation under the skin also causes tissue and collagen destruction, resulting in volume loss within the skin structure. This creates a ‘hole’ under the skin and causes the skin to sink inwards.
- Uneven skin texture– infection from acne also causes the surface of the skin to become uneven due to damage to the superficial skin layer. This damage creates superficial potholes on the skin and, at the same time, causes pores to become bigger.
Traditionally, these reasons for acne scarring are treated individually different treatments. Sylfirm X can effectively treat all 3 reasons with just a single session, thus reducing the number of treatments needed with increased effects.
How does Sylfirm X treat acne scarring?
Fibrotic scarring is usually treated with subcision. Subcision is a process where a specialized needle is used to physically breakdown the scar tissue by ‘cutting’ these fibrous bands to release the tethered skin.
Sylfirm X achieves subcision with microneedles that can be calibrated to specific depths where different scars are situated. Microneedles (25 needles in each handpiece) are slowly ‘injected’ into the skin, reaching up to 4mm depth (deeper than any laser can reach). These microneedles can break down the fibrous bands more effectively and quickly as they cover a larger surface area than just 1 needle used during subcision, and ensure that no areas are being missed out because of the close arrangement of the microneedles. Due to the microneedles’ very small diameter, it is much more tolerable and less painful than traditional subcision.
Volume loss resulting from tissue destruction under the skin is usually treated by injectables such as hyaluronic acid fillers or Rejuran S. These injectables can mostly be replaced by Sylfirm X. Sylfirm X delivers controlled and adjustable radiofrequency energy into the skin layers through the microneedles. This radiofrequency remodels the skin to produce collagen and increases volume from within, thus ‘pushing’ the scars upwards without the need of injectables. Best of all, this volume stimulated by Sylfirm X is permanent and does not disappear like fillers after a period of time.
Uneven Skin Texture
The uneven texture on the skin due to acne scarring is usually treated by fractional lasers such as the fractional CO2 laser, fractional pico laser, etc. These fractional lasers damage the surface of the skin, promoting repair and resurface the skin to make it smoother. Sylfirm X, because of the adjustable depths of the microneedles, can be adjusted to different depths on the surface to target more precisely on all the superficial layers of the skin. On the surface, Sylfirm X is adjusted to different depths to cause damage and resurfacing. At the same time, delivers radiofrequency energy as well to repair the skin and minimize pores.
Why choose Sylfirm X for acne scarring treatment?
- Faster and effective results– Sylfirm X can treat all causes of acne scarring with 1 procedure, thus resulting in faster and more effective results.
- Less pain– because of the smaller microneedles, Sylfirm X is very much less painful than traditional subcision. It is also less painful than most fractional lasers, such as the fractional pico laser, as it does not cause as much ‘explosive’ damage to the skin as the radiofrequency energy can be adjustable and controlled to match different depths of the skin and different scar types.
- Cost effectiveness– due to the effectiveness and reduced number of treatments, Sylfirm X can be more cost effective at treating scars compared to traditional tr
- Reduced downtime– surprisingly, one of the BIGGEST advantages of Sylfirm X is the reduced downtime. Traditional procedures such as subcision and fractional CO2 lasers require about 1-2 weeks of downtime such as redness and scabbing. Sylfirm X, because of its controlled energy and very small needles, has a much-reduced downtime of 1-3 days.
- Other benefits– Sylfirm X not only treats acne scarring, but at the same time minimizes pores, reduces fine lines, and leaves the skin glowy and softer.
What happens during the procedure?
First, your skin will be gently cleansed before you are taken for a skin analysis. A thorough consultation with a registered medical professional will be done prior to any treatment.
Once your treatment has been discussed and agreed upon, a topical anesthetic will be applied to reduce discomfort during the procedure. Reapplication of the numbing cream may be reapplied depending on treatment and pain tolerance. The topical anesthetic is then removed after an adequate time has passed before the procedure is carried out.
Our doctor will then ensure that your skin is clean before carrying out the treatment. The Sylfirm tip will be firmly rested upon your skin firmly before every shot. Each shot sends radiofrequency energy via the microneedles that will be pushed into your skin. Treatments typically last for 20 – 30 minutes depending on the size and complexity of the area treated.
After the treatment is over, a cold gel and light therapy may be introduced to help reduce redness and aid healing.
How many sessions will I need?
As each person’s skin type and scarring is different, the number of sessions needed and the improvements seen in each session do depend on how your skin reacts to Sylfirm X.
The depth, power settings and the frequency between treatments would generally determine how quick or visible the improvements are.
On average, the number of treatments is 2 or 3 times lesser than what other traditional procedures will require.
Side effects & aftercare for the Sylfirm X
In general, side effects are minimal and are usually limited to:
- Erythema (Redness)
- Very mild swelling at higher energy settings
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (uncommon)
Most patients typically experience 1 – 3 days of downtime. One may experience mild erythema or swelling. Longer downtime can be observed for those treating acne scarring, which typically requires treatment at deeper depths.
Improvements to the scars tend to be observed around a month after the treatment as time is needed for new collagen formation and remodeling to occur.
A topical cream is usually prescribed to patients to reduce the chance of hyperpigmentation and infection. This should be applied diligently for the first few days. Adequate sun protection and moisturization are also key for faster recovery and to reduce the chance of side effects.
It is also the best time to apply skincare with healing benefits such as stem cell serums, or hydrating sheet masks!